Monday 23 June 2008

Some Daft Punk Homework...

Halloween maybe months away...but that should give you enough time to gather all your kitchen roll tubes and egg boxes for this do-it-youself electric suit...Daft Punk style! It will bring out the MacGyverin you!

Intro- How to add EL wire to a coat or other garment
As a lighted costume designer, I get a lot of questions from people who want to know how to make their own EL wire costumes (many of them seeking to mimic the immensely popular Daft Punk red robot suits, which I illuminated for their Alive 2007 tour). I don't have time to help everyone individually, so I thought I'd consolidate my advice into one instructable. Hopefully this will help you understand the steps involved in this labor-intensive process, and get you started with your own lighted clothing projects.

Rather than describe how to make a single specific design, I am trying to make these instructions fairly general so you can create your own EL wire layout for almost any type of clothing, although many of my example photos refer to lighted coats. Also, since EL wire is very fragile in situations where it is flexed repeatedly, a lot of these tips will focus on methods for improving durability and getting the longest possible life out of the garment.

Read the full step-by-step guide on "How to add EL wire to a coat or other garment"

No comments: